Thursday, April 19, 2007

SHF#30 Rose and Watermelon Jam

I thought it was time I jumped into the deep end of food blogging and joined a food event. Sugar High Friday, the great event started by the domestic godess, seemed perfect. Especially as this month's theme of flower power, being hosted by coconut chutney, seemed so perfect.

I have long been wanting to try a recipe of watermelon and rose jam that is in Tessa Kiros's book, Falling Cloudberries. First of all, I love the flavour of rose. Secondly, I have never cooked with watermelon and was intrigued by the notion.

So this summer I decided that I would give it a go.


And the result, well I was not disappointed. The jam has a lovely light flavour. As for the texture, watermelon flesh is surprisingly robust. I made the mistake of cutting the pieces large thinking that they would dissolve away into nothing. But no, they hold together incredibly well.

The jam is on the thin side. Which is great for use with puddings. Tessa suggests a buttermilk pudding. I served it with a steamed pudding and custard. Yummy.

I could not get hold of any untreated rose petals, so I used rosewater instead. Only a very small amount is needed so as to not overwhelm the delicate flavour of the watermelon. Rosewaters vary in intensity. An idea might be to cool small amounts of jam to taste as you add. This will provide you with the most satisfactory outcome.



Rose and Watermelon Jam
(adapted from Falling Cloudberries)

Sprinkle 1kg of watermelon flesh with 400gm of caster sugar. Cut few thin slices from a lemon and juice the remainder. Add to the watermelon and sugar. Cover and leave overnight.

Bring to the boil in a saucepan. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently. Use a hand blender to make the jam as smooth or chunky as you wish. When ready the jam should resist sliding down a plate. Remember it will be quite thin.

Add petals from an untreated rose or rosewater to taste. Pour into sterilized jars.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for participating! I love the combination of watermelon and rose, looks great and I bet it tastes divine as well!

 
At 7:21 am, Blogger Maria of Passion Fruit & Mangos said...

Wow, Rose & Watermelon jam- that sounds really interesting and delicious! A summery flavor combination no doubt!

 
At 8:58 am, Blogger Lis said...

I am a watermelon FREAK and my eyes opened as big as saucers when I saw your entry in Monisha's round up. This is fabulous, I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it! =)

 
At 6:36 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Monisha, Maria and lis. Thanks for your kind comments.

lis - If I can add another tip, for the best result use a fully ripe, rich red, flavourful watermelon. The trick for me was to get it into the pot before I ate it all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet