Monday, June 09, 2008

KJ Wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge Quarterly Review

As you may or may not know, on 1 March this year I made a resolution. I would not buy a single new cookbook until I made at least one recipe from every cookbook I already own. All 52 of them. If I am good, I can buy myself a new mixer.

I have my heart set on a Kitchen Aid. It's going to be pistachio green. And I will hug it and squeeze it and call it George.

Anyway, having hit the quarter way mark I thought it was time for a recap. So far this challenge has been fantastic. It has forced me to try new things, instead of just making endless cakes and ice creams. I am particularly pleased that I have blogged some savoury dishes. I always find these far more challenging than baking. So it is particularly satisfying when they come out well.

The highlight so far has definitely been the Plums in Marsala I made back in March. These were simply divine. This would be closely followed by the Water Pastry. I was delighted with the way this came out.

And a big thanks to everyone who has left such kind and encouraging comments. I am simply delighted that anyone visits my blog and I love feedback.

Here is a brief overview.



Challenge Book #1 - Toasted Coconut Ice Cream and Pear Caramel Ice Cream adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz.

Delicious and delicious. I seriously doubt that there is a less than delectable recipe in this book.







Challenge Book #2 - Plums in Marsala adapted from How to Cook Book One by Delia Smith.

An eventful experience, with oven doors flying open all over the place. But oh so so worth it. DIVINE!








Challenge Book #3 - Rocky Road Ice Cream adapted from Iced.


Fun to make and fun to eat.








Challenge Book #4 - Coconut Lemon Twinkies adapted from The Sweet Spot by Pichet Ong.

They looked good and they tasted good.









Challenge Book #5 - Italian Stallion adapted from Simply Simpatico by the Junior League of Alburquerque.

Blokey food at its best.








Challenge Book #6 - Water Pastry, Kofte and Pilaf adapted from Turkish Cookery by Inci Kut.

Delicious!!! I was so excited that this came out so well.





Challenge Book #7 - Membrillo adapted from Cook's Companion by Stephanie Alexander.

There were a few issues - namely its tendency to burn. But it was a great result.







Challenge Book #8 - Quince Yeast Cake adapted from Maggie's Table by Maggie Beer.

Not a great success, but I can see the potential.





Challenge Book #9 - Pot Roasted Quinces adapted from Maggie's Harvest by Maggie Beer.
Again not a total success, as the jelly didn't set. But it was still a delight to eat.





Challenge Book #10 - Plum and Cinnamon Oat Slice adapted from How to Cook Book Two by Delia Smith.

Loved the plummy jam filling.








Challenge Book #11 & #12 - Ice Cream Sundae adapted from Falling Cloudberries by Tessa Kiros and Family Circle's Classic Essential Chocolate.

A traditional favourite. Simplicity at its best.




Challenge Book #13 - Chicken Leek Pie adapted from Family Circle's Classic Essential Pies.

Hard to go wrong here - with puff pastry, chicken, bacon, leeks and cream.







As for Challenge Book #14, here is a sneak peek. Stay tuned.

11 Comments:

At 1:37 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

Now I have to find my Kitchen Aid a name, too. :)

I think your recipes are delicious and your photos get better and better everyday!

 
At 1:38 am, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Oh wow! The ice cream sundae and the water pastry, I loved the Italian Stallion the first time, and again it's still looking good, the twinkies won me over with their name and because they're lemon but my favourite thing of all is that blue plate Challenge Book #1. I love that plate!

Now I'd have caved in and just bought myself the mixer, thinking that if I'd done this much then surely I was going to complete the challange. Purchase made I would of course never complete the challenge. Good for you for sticking with it.

 
At 6:54 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

You are doing a grand job - George will be yours before you know it! Well, soon anyway :)

 
At 10:29 am, Blogger Dolores said...

I love the high-end twinkies... what a great idea! Oh... and since ice cream is clearly a priority in your house, I highly recommend the ice cream maker bowl for George. I LOVE mine.

I tagged you for a meme on my blog. No pressure, but if you're interested I'd love to see your answers.

 
At 4:09 pm, Blogger chriesi said...

Great job! Keep on going for George! :)

 
At 6:17 pm, Blogger grace said...

you're definitely well on your way to earning george--that's a fabulous collection of goodies! when the time comes, be careful not to squeeze george too hard... :)

 
At 3:18 am, Blogger Jenny said...

Soon George will be yours!
And I think I need to show that to my kids, who likely think I made that up when every once in awhile I grab one, hug him and squeeze him and call him George. They think I'm just a weird mom. :-)

 
At 1:29 am, Blogger Deborah said...

Wow - you are doing so well! I wish I had a pretty colored KA, but I got mine on sale, so she's just white. But I still love her!

 
At 4:51 pm, Blogger steph- whisk/spoon said...

mine is pistachio, too...so pretty. gosh, you have really made some good looking stuff! how did i miss the italian stallion--hilarious!

 
At 7:09 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Patricia, thank you.

Hi Amanda, I bought my blue plate for #2 in a thrift shop. A great find. I am determined to stick with this challenge. I will get through all those books one way or another.

Hi Kelly-Jane, I hope soon comes soon!!!

Hi Dolores, an ice cream attachment is a great idea.

Hi Chriesi, for George!!

Hi Grace, good point, I wouldn't want to hurt him.

Hi Jenny, it's a great saying!!

Hi Deborah, thanks. Sometimes you just have to take what you can get.

Hi Steph, lucky you, it's such a lovely colour. The Italian Stallion is fun!

 
At 10:53 pm, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I haven't purchased any cookbooks lately just for that reason. I am enjoying watching you go through yours and wondering what you'll choose:D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet