Thursday, August 21, 2008

Double Chocolate Pudding Parfait



I am still watching the Olympics. And I'm happily cheering Australia on. Which is actually a bit odd because I have never been particularly patriotic about sport, except when it comes to cricket. There is nothing better than Australia beating England for the Ashes. But generally, I am more interested in the competition than who is winning. I generally think Australia goes way over the top in celebrating sports people and sporting achievements. But here I am kinda joining in, which is kinda disturbing.

But it's not all bad. The sport I have been enjoying the most is volleyball. Not an Australian in sight in this competition. There was a cracking match the other day between Germany and Serbia.

Again this has nothing to do with today's recipe of choice - Double Chocolate Pudding Parfait. I actually made this ages ago and it has been waiting patiently in my archives . I haven't been baking much lately due to some troublesome mouth ulcers. If I can't enjoy the fruits of my baking, the fruits don't get baked.

But the fact that I haven't posted this earlier doesn't mean that it was not good. Because it was. Silky smooth and deeply chocolaty pudding layered with chocolate cream. What's not to love!!!

It's more that I was not so happy with the photos. And I really need to get a full set of matching glasses. A pudding has to work hard to overcome the fact that it's being served in an old jam jar. Small servings are better as it is quite rich. I served one of these between two people. Luckily, we were all good friends and no one minded. I really need to get those glasses.




I found the recipe on Epicurious where it has excellent reviews. Apart from the person who said it was too much work and you're better off with instant mix and cool whip. I try hard not to judge but I did kinda snort at that one.

It's a fairly straightforward recipe. But you need to take a lot of care to avoid lumps. There's nothing worse than hitting on a lump in custards and puddings. I've found that if the pudding mixture starts to stick while its boiling and thickening, it's best just to lower the heat and avoid scraping up the bottom of the pan. If worse comes to worse get out the stick blender and give it a quick whizz before chilling the mixture down.

And now I'm off to watch more volleyball. The USA is about to take on Cuba. Go whoever!!!

8 Comments:

At 5:44 pm, Blogger Cindy said...

Better off with Cool Whip?! I'd be willing to go to quite some effort to avoid that stuff.

Hope your mouth ulcers heal soon!

 
At 9:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...you can never take a bad picture out of chocolate, because it alwas looks good ;) I'm in love with your parfaits :)

get well and bake soon :)

 
At 2:01 am, Blogger Deborah said...

I love the jars!! I've never made pudding from scratch - in fact, it's probably been years since I've had pudding. But it sounds like a great snack right now!

 
At 4:40 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

I like your glasses! They look pretty. They let the beautiful dessert you made shine, KJ. That pudding is so silky!
I used to suffer from aphthae when I was little, and could not eat citrus fruit. I'm so glad I'm over that nowadays!
Be well soon. And since you like volleyball, can you cheer for the Brazilian team?? ;)

xoxo

 
At 5:16 am, Blogger grace said...

what's not to love, indeed! this must be truly decadent (if the puddle of drool on my desk is any indication...).
meanwhile, i love volleyball too. go ahead and pull for the usa, if only for me. :)

 
At 7:04 pm, Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said...

exquisite. What a great idea a perfect dessert for any chocoholic!

 
At 3:11 am, Blogger Laura said...

Doesn't it suck when you make something decadent like that and you have nothing appropriately elegant to serve it in? I have been known to serve mousse in opaque cobalt blue pottery ramekins, so I feel your pain....

Looks divine, by the way. :)

 
At 5:57 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Cindy, me too!!! It's all good now.

Thanks Zita.


Hi Deborah, I'm glad you like the jars. I guess they are eclectic if nothing else.

Hi Patricia, I did cheer for Brazil in the finals. But it did no good in the men's event as they lost. I was very sorry for them.

Hi Grace, sorry I went for Brazil. On the basis that they had not won as many things as the US.

Hi Meeta, thanks. It is a perfect desert for a chocoholic.

HI Laura, LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet