Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Rich Shortbreads


Like any blogger I take a keen interest in the visitors to my blog. In particular, how people find me. A lot arrive through google or some other search engine. The keywords people use are endlessly interesting. Some make me wonder what is going on in their lives. Like the person who googled 'can jelly keep an egg from cracking'. Just what were they wanting to do with this egg? The mind boggles.

Then of course 'KJ' has an unfortunate association with certain kind of lubricant jelly. I imagine those people don't find much use for my recipes for banana cake and biscuits. Or maybe they do - who knows? The world is a strange place.

But what amazes me most of all is the number of people who are looking for Jamie Oliver's shortbread recipe. I blogged about this over two years ago. But this accounts for a full one-third of the keywords that have lead to my site. There were five people looking for this just yesterday. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as it is labelled as the 'world's best shortbread' after all. Jamie Oliver just can't help himself.

I however respectfully disagree. When it comes to shortbread this is far and away my favourite.



This rich shortbread recipe has been our family Christmas shortbread recipe for as long as I can remember. Incredibly light and tender it melts in the mouth. Half the batch always gets dipped in dark chocolate, which makes it even richer and extra delicious. Yum!!!

This was the shortbread I had in hand when my oven kicked up it's toes two days before Christmas. Thankfully, the electrician returned as promised and all was well. The shortbread dough did not seem to suffer from a night in the fridge. And we got to enjoy an incredibly tender and juicy cut of pickled marinated five spice pork for Christmas lunch. It was so good!! A perfect Christmas.

Rich Shortbread

250gm butter
4 tbspn icing sugar
1 cup cornflour
3/4 cup plain flour
1 tspn vanilla

Have the butter at room temperature. Cream the butter and icing sugar. Add the sifted flour and cornflour. Mix in the vanilla. Beat until smooth.

Place the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm star tube. Pipe onto lightly greased oven trays,in shapes about 5 cm long.

Bake 180C oven for 12-15 minutes. Leave to cool for a few minutes and then remove to a wire rack. If desired, melt some dark chocolate over a double boiler and dip half the biscuits to half way. Leave to set.

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 5:45 pm, Blogger Brilynn said...

I always get a kick out of what people have searched for and ended up at my blog instead... apparently Jumbo Empanadas can take on a variety of meanings...

 
At 6:49 am, Blogger David T. Macknet said...

I think that they're probably trying to figure out how to protect an egg during an egg-drop contest or something. You know: they drop the egg from atop a building & have to protect it somehow?

 
At 8:51 am, Blogger grace said...

i have no idea how i found you, but i'm glad i did. :)
great little cookies--i can eat a ridiculous amount of such things...

 
At 9:22 am, Blogger Deborah said...

Well, I've never tried Jamie Oliver's version, but I think I'd skip straight to this one because yours looks so perfect!

 
At 1:35 pm, Blogger test it comm said...

That shortbread looks great!

 
At 9:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic!

 
At 8:25 am, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Mmmm, looks like the best shortbread to me.

Happy NEW YEAR!!!!!

 
At 8:28 am, Blogger giz said...

You gave me a laugh with the KJ but you didn't ask the question Y??? lol
I'm another one who watches the keywords and wonders how on earth they got to me. I know I have a recipe for beet leaf holopchi but how does the question "wrapping dough in cabbage" get you to beet leaf holopchi??
Happy New Year.

 
At 7:48 am, Blogger steph- whisk/spoon said...

i am endlessly amused by the search terms people use. today someone found me thru "where will my food come from today?"...what??

that shortbread looks buttery an delicious! happy new year!

 
At 6:54 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

Hi KJ,
It is funny the kinds of keys words people use in search engines. (p/s: how do you keep a log of how people get to your blog?).

Glad that your oven got fixed in time. These shortbreads do look melt-in-your-mouth. I reckon that cornflour is the secret ingredient for that perfect texture.

Happy 2009!

Nora

 
At 9:42 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Brilynn, HAAAA!

Hi Davimack, that makes sense!!

Hi Grace, I scoffed so many of these. It was disgraceful.

Hi Kevin, thanks.

Hi Foodista, thanks.

Hi Amanda, thanks and right back at ya!!

Hi Giz, keywords are a mystery for the ages.

Hi Steph, exactly, what? And thanks.

Hi Nora, my statcounter records the links people click on to come to my blog and the keywords people enter in search engines. So fascinting. I agree cornflour is the key.

 
At 9:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow theese are great little cookies--i can eat an enormous amount of such things...!!!!

 
At 4:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look like they'd melt in your mouth, love that they can be dipped in chocolate!

 
At 5:20 am, Blogger Laura said...

I have been on a shortbread kick and so was quite excited to find this... but then I read cornflour. Is that the same as a fine grind cornmeal here in the states? Is it whole grain?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet